I like to get off to a quick start
In the first session I usually meet with parents or other caregivers so you can voice your concerns freely without your child present. In the following session I’ll meet with you and your child.
I’ll begin by taking some time to get to know who your child is apart from the problem. What makes them unique? What are their skills and strengths? These will be important tools to help us loosen the grip the problem has on your child. I’ll ask what your child wants to be different in their life as well as what you would like to see changed. Agreeing on clear goals makes problem solving a lot easier!
I’ll give your child ideas to try during the week and I’ll give you tools so that you can support your child in making changes. My approach is always collaborative and solution-focused. You and your child will gain a new perspective on the problem, a sense of hope, and strategies you can use right away.
I support you so you can support your kids
I have great compassion and respect for the work we do as parents. We all love our kids and we’re all doing the best we can. Sometimes, in the grip of particularly sticky problem, we forget what we’re doing well in our parenting. I will help you recognize and build on what you’re already doing well.
I’ll also offer tools to help you break out of the patterns where you feel stuck. I will support you so you can support your child.
I meet with children and their families in various combinations to be able to come at the problem from a variety of angles. Sometimes, we may start a session with the whole family present and then I’ll take some time to work with the child alone before we come together again. Or I may spend the whole time just with your child, and check in with you at the end. You and your child are unique, and together we’ll find the approach that works best for your family.
What Sets Me Apart
It’s so important to find someone who is a good match for you and your child. Here are a few things that define how I work.
- My work is always collaborative and based on the strengths you and your child already have.
- I don’t blame parents for their children’s struggles. I’ll work with you so you can support your kids.
- I teach skills you and your child can use at home, at school or wherever challenges arise. I want you to have tools you can use right away.
- I’ll work with your child’s school. Having worked in schools as both teacher and counselor, I understand the different perspectives and concerns. As a team, we’ll come up with a plan to help your child be successful.
- I help kids with many different challenges, with a particular focus on anxiety, stress, and anger.
- My goal is for therapy to be short term. Although each situation is unique, I typically see clients for 6 months to a year. After we’ve set our goals, we may spread out our sessions to give your child time to practice the strategies they’re learning.
I work with your child’s school and other professionals
Children do best when the adults in their lives work together. I believe in a team approach to raising children. I’ll work with parents, teachers, school administrators, pediatricians, and other specialists to come up with a plan to help your child be successful.
I love helping kids and families find solutions that foster joy, creativity, and connection. I look forward to meeting you and your family!